What you need to know when hiring an electrician

Did you know they need to have a licence? 

Need some help with an electrical problem? Before you hire someone to fix it, read these useful tips from the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) and Energy Market Authority of Singapore.  

1. You should only engage a licensed electrical worker for electrical work in your home and office because electrical work carried out by unlicensed electrical workers may pose safety risks and cause damage to property or injury to people.

This include work such as

  • Installing, repairing or modifying electrical wiring
  • Adding, extending or replacing electrical power points like socket-outlets, switches or lighting points
  • Repairing or replacing consumer control units or circuit breakers

All licensed electrician are issued with a card which includes his photograph, name, identity card number, and licence number. The license number for a licensed electrician should be in this format: 7/123456 (7/six-digit number). Verify the card before starting electrical work at your home or office.

There are three classes of licensed electricians, depending on the scale of the electrical installation. Find out which class you should hire here

To search for a licensed electrical worker, check the Energy Market Authority of Singapore's website here


2. Confirm payment arrangements before agreeing to hire your chosen electrician. Ask for a written quotation if you know the type of work that needs to be done. If a site inspection is required to evaluate the extent of work needed, you should confirm the transportation charges prior to scheduling them to come down. If the work is not urgent, you can consider asking for a few quotations to compare prices.


3. Insist on a receipt when you make a payment. At the very least, ask for a signed acknowledgement of payment you made, so that there is proof of payment.


4. If you need to replace your circuit breaker, insist on an approved one. Circuit breakers are designated as controlled goods under the Consumer Protection (Safety Requirements) Registration Scheme and they must have the "SAFETY Mark". To verify if the circuit breaker is registered, check the Safety Authority (SPRING Singapore)'s website here


5. If a dispute arises and it cannot be resolved personally, consider approaching CASE or the Small Claims Tribunals. It's always good to know your redress options beforehand.


Written by Muneerah Bee for The Finder