Why basic fire insurance is not enough for your home

Fire insurance is a must for any mortgaged property, but did you know that fire insurance is usually only limited to either the outstanding home amount, or the cost of reinstating the building structure? It doesn’t cover the contents of your home, such as your personal belongings and home renovations. So it’s important to know that there are separate home insurance policies out there that can protect the contents of your home, and your renovation as well!

For example, there’s NTUC Income’s Enhanced Home Insurance plan, which gives your home the comprehensive protection it needs. The plan not only covers basic structural damage, but also loss or damage to household items, renovation works, and valuables such as antiques, works of art, and jewellery, due to incidents such as burst water pipes or tanks, and home fires.

*Mr Tan Cheong Meng is one man who has benefitted greatly from NTUC Income’s Enhanced Home Insurance plan. A fire, which started from his home’s praying altar, had left the surrounding area with fire and soot damage to the home renovation, furniture, household contents and personal effects. With the Enhanced Home Insurance plan, Mr Tan was able to recover $10,164 to make up for the loss of items and damage. Without this plan, he wouldn’t have been able to recover anything.

Learn more about how the Enhanced Home Insurance plan works at www.income.com.sg/Home-Insurance.


Enjoy 15 per cent off premiums, when you sign up for NTUC Income’s three-year Enhanced Home Insurance plan! The first 750 new sign-ups will also receive a Shake n Take3 Blender worth $69. Promotion is valid till Dec 31, 2015. Call 6788-1111 and quote HND15 to enjoy this promotion. For terms and conditions, visit www.income.com.sg/HND15.

*The name has been changed to protect the privacy of individuals. This case study is based on an actual claim submitted to NTUC Income in 2012.