Design: Distinct Identity
Your living room is probably one of the most important spaces at home — its where the family gathers and you entertain guests. Your coffee table, as the centerpiece of the space, can make a huge difference, when it comes to setting the tone.
Decorate it to show your personality, so that it is stylish apart from functional! Here's how.
+ Box, bowl, ginger jar or container
To corral odds and ends, and contain smaller decorative curiosities.
+ Stack of books
To add dimension and serve as light reading material or entertainment for guests.
To create ambience and mood, and perhaps add scent to the room.
+ Something with personality
To add a unique, interesting element that says something about you; it and also acts as a good conversation starter.
+ Something fresh and natural
To accent with a hint of fresh colour, and help to bring the outdoors in.
To group and organise items or move them around easily.
- Include items with height to create depth and “layers” among your objects.
- Use a sturdy ottoman or pouf in place of a table — this can come in handy as extra seating, too.
- Who says you have to be restricted to just one surface? Try arranging a pair of smaller tables side by side or overlapping nesting tables for added style.
- The space below the table can be utilised, too. Include it as part of your styling or tuck small poufs underneath.
- Take care not to overcrowd the table, and leave some space for your guests to place their drinks.
- Having a box of matches on hand will encourage the use of candles or tea lights for mood lighting.
- If you have a TV or audio equipment in the room, stow away the remote controls in a nice box.
- Your stack of books can also serve as a pedestal — just top it off with something attractive.
- Place your book piles in both horizontal and vertical directions to break the monotony and provide some dimension.
- Use glass boxes to display and keep fragile mementos safe.