The executive chef of SPRMRKT shares his favourite souffle recipe.
SAVOURY CHEESE SOUFFLE
- 150g softened unsalted butter
- 120g semi-coarse breadcrumbs
- (or Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 150g plain flour
- 600ml fresh or UHT milk
- 6 whole eggs, yolks and
- whites separated
- 90g cheddar, grated
- 90g Parmesan, grated
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of rock salt
- Pinch of cracked pepper
TIP: Use a mixer with a large, deep bowl. Reduce the mixing speed when adding flour-like substances to minimise mess.
1. Preheat the oven to 200 deg C in fan mode.
2. Lightly grease six ramekins with some butter, and coat the insides with breadcrumbs. Dust off the excess.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Switch off the heat, and stir in milk to get a thick, smooth sauce. Switch the heat back on, and bring to a boil while continuously stirring. Simmer gently for 10 minutes to cook the flour before removing from heat.
5. Beat in egg yolks, cheddar and parmesan cheese, mustard and cayenne pepper, and season well with salt and pepper.
6. Whisk egg whites until they are at the softest stage, and fold them into the cheese mixture with a large metal spoon. Do this in batches.
7. Divide the mixture evenly between the ramekins, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until well risen and golden. Serve immediately