It seems there’s just no stopping Dyson from rolling out cordless vacuum cleaners that not only look sexy, but work just a hard when performing cleaning tasks. Not long ago, I interviewed Will Kerr, head of the floor care category over at Dyson, about the new Omni-glide cordless vacuum. His description of its prowess intrigued me so much that I decided to go grab a set and try it out.
Okay, so for the TL:DR version of the review, here are some of the main differences the Omni-glide differs from the basic Dyson V10 or V11 models:
- The ‘omnidirectional Fluffy head cleaner’ comprises two independently rotating cleaner heads, both turning inwards at the same time, which means you are sucking up as much dirt from the surface when you are either pushing the vacuum forwards or backwards.
- Castors embedded into the base of the cleaner head also make it much easier for the head to manoeuvre around curves or sharp angles.
- The machine can lie flat and reach into narrow low corners (like under the bed or sofa).
- Unlike the cordless vacuums in the V series, the Omni-glide comes with a removable battery. You can also purchase additional batteries as a back-up, but from my experience one battery can last long enough for me to properly clean up to two standard HDB-sized bedrooms (resale flat yah, not the new BTO configurations).
- The Omni-glide is specifically designed for busy homeowners, who tend to focus on cleaning specific rooms each time. In my case, I only have time to clean the floor when I get home from work in the evenings, so instead of vacuuming the entire house I vacuum one room each day of the week.
- The Omni-glide is also geared to clean hard surfaces, such as hardwood or tiles, counter tops, desk tops, etc. It does come with a standard brush for carpets and another for cleaning areas like your mattress and sofas, but these aren’t new to the brand and you can get them with other cordless vacuums from Dyson.
- ***The Omni-glide comes with a REALLY COOL crevice cleaning tool, that has a built-in LED light. OMG LOVE! Finally, the engineers heeded my yearning to see the horrid and dusty mess lurking in the corners under my study table!