Awarded 'Design of the Year' at the 2016 President's Design Awards, the Samsung AddWash 10kg washing machine that allows you to add clothes or detergent during a wash cycle, is perfect for most households.
Looking for a new washing machine or dryer, but don't know where to begin? Deciding what your needs are is a useful first step.
- Big families
Most households consisting of four to five members usually use a washing machine with a capacity between 7 to 10kg, depending on their preference to wash frequently over a week or all at once on the weekends.
Bigger families of six to eight members naturally need one with a larger capacity to handle the high volume of clothes, something like a 15 to 21kg washing machine.
A washing machine is able to wash around 5 shirts for every kilogram of capacity – so an 8kg washing machine can wash a maximum of about 40 shirts.
Big families may be interested in the LG TWINWash F2721HTWV washing machine that has a 21kg capacity.
LG TWINWash T2735NTWV 3.5kg mini washer retails for $1,099 at authorised retailers.
- Small families
Smaller families, couples or singles who’d like more energy-efficient and smaller capacity washing machines can consider getting those that are 8kg and below.
Households with many female members will find the mini washers (above) from LG’s TWINWash range a huge help with lingerie that usually require handwashing. Designed to handle small loads and delicate items, the stackable mini-washers are a perfect companion to their full-sized fron load washing machines.
Miele WTH120 WPM washer-dryer has a 7kg washing capacity and a 4kg dryer.
- Small homes
If space is tight in the kitchen but you are seriously contemplating getting a dryer to outwit those unpredictable damp days, a washer-dryer like the Miele WTH120 may be the right fit for you. The 7kg washer, which has a 4kg dryer capacity, is designed with a unique honeycomb drum that treats textiles more gently, and also allows clothes to dry more uniformly as well. Each unit comes with a 2-year warranty from the high-end German brand.
The Panasonic NA-129VX6 9kg washing machine retails for $1,199 at authorised retail stores.
- Hygiene priority
Perhaps you are nursing a family member who is unwell or are just particular about hygiene, a washing machine that has an added feature to take care of that would be right up your alley. Panasonic’s NA-129VX6 washing machine comes with a Cold/Hot Wash function that provides 2-way sterilisation – clothes are first washed in cold water to kill bacteria, and later washed in waters of either 60 or 90 degrees Celsius to remove common household allergens and prevent odours.
Made in Japan, the Rinnai RD-600CG 6kg dryer retails at City Gas.
- Faster drying
Looking for a dryer to pair your existing washing machine? Consider getting a gas clothes dryer such as the Rinnai RD-600CG. Gas clothes dryers are efficient, usually taking half the drying time of electric ones, and also incur lower running costs.
Care tips for your washing machine:
- Ways to keep your washing machine in tip-top shape –
Samsung suggests the following:
- Clean the drum/tub regularly to remove bacteria, users can simply activate the Eco Drum Clean or Eco Tub Clean mode to remove accumulated dirt and bacteria
- Clean the mesh filter of the water hose once or twice a year
- Clean the pump filter 5 or 6 times a year to prevent clogging
- Clean the detergent drawer component using a soft brush and running water to prevent bacteria accumulation
- Avoid leaving the washing machine unused for an extended period of time. If this is the case, drain the washing machine and unplug the power cord.
- Avoid overloading your washing machine. Do multiple separate washes instead. This is to ensure the washing performance is maintained at the optimum condition.
- Avoid spraying water onto the washing machine. To clean the surface, simply use a soft cloth with non-abrasive household detergent.
- What are some tell-tale signs that my washing machine is not working as well as it should?
If there are error codes or abnormal mechanical noises during operation, this may be a sign that something is wrong with your washing machine, shares Samsung’s product team. Clothes stains even after wash are also a sign – black stains usually mean that the drum is dirty, so a Eco Tub/Drum clean is recommended; white stains usually mean that too much detergent, especially powder types, or softener is used.
- How do I prevent mould from forming on the inner rim of my front-load washing machine’s door?
The product team at Miele suggests wiping dry the door seal every time after use. If possible, leave the door open to air dry for 10-15min after every use.
- How many bedsheets can I wash in one load of wash?
The size, weight and material of your bedsheets and duvet will affect the number you can wash in a single load of wash. For non-stop washing and drying in Miele’s WTH120 washer-dryer, it can accommodate 4kg or 1-2 single bedsheets under the cotton programme. For washing only, the 7kg washer optimally washes 2-3 single bedsheets with the cotton programme.