+ Check outlets for loose-fitting plugs, which could overheat and start a fire.

+ Replace missing or broken wall plates to keep from accidentally touching a live wire.

+ Repair damaged or frayed cords and wires.

+ Use lockout covers and childproof plugs on all outlets accessible to young children.

+ If outlets or switches feel warm to the touch, spark or make a noise when you insert or remove a plug, or cause lights to flicker or dim, call a licensed electrical worker to give them a check (details below).


The Energy Market Authority (EMA) has a listing of licensed electrical workers at http://tinyurl.com/findLEW.