Tiny in size, ticks and fleas are quite difficult to spot or identify, and will often latch on to our pets (which means they will make their way into the home!). Unfortunately, these buggers may cause Lyme diseases, tapeworm and/or other fever-inducing illnesses, so it’s of utmost importance that we keep them away.
– “For landed properties, trim the grass to 7.5cm or less as this reduces rodent habitats. Rodents are carriers of ticks and fleas,” recommends Rentokil, a pest control company.
– Check your pets for ticks daily, especially after they spend time outdoors.
– Don’t just clean the floors, sofas and pet cages. Clean the underside of tables and sofas, refrigerator tops, and window sills thoroughly.
– Use hot water. Rugs and curtains are easy places for ticks and fleas to hide, so vacuum and change/wash soft furnishing items as often as you can without damaging them. High temperatures help kill these pests, so wash and dry your fabrics in hot conditions.
– Use apple cider vinegar — its an insect repellent because they hate the smell of it! Mix the natural ingredient with water and spray them on areas of your home.
– And if all else fails, call the professionals!
WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE PROFESSIONALS COME
Tips from Rentokil
- Bring your pets to the veterinarian for flea control treatment (preferably on the same day with the indoor flea control)
- Remove all items such as toys and pillows off the floor or carpet
- Remove items from under beds, closet floors and from under furniture
- Cover aquariums and turn off the pumps before pest control treatment
WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PROFESSIONALS COME
- Vacuum all upholstered furniture, floors, carpet and wall to floor junctions several times, during the first 7 to 10 days after pest control treatment. “This is to reduce emerging fleas and infestation again,” says Rentokil experts. “Vacuum bags also need to be removed immediately and put into a sealed plastic garbage bag to be disposed properly.”
- Home owners and pets would need to enter the house only if the residual spray on the carpet or floor has been dried completely